BASIC SURGICAL TOOLS and SURGICAL MATERIALS Andrea Ferencz Semmelweis University, Faculty of Medicine Department of Surgical Research and Techniques www.semmelweis.hu/mutettan BASIC SURGICAL TOOLS
BASIC SURGICAL TOOLS Surgical instruments are - precisely designed and manufactured tools. - for single (disposable) or multiple use (non-disposable), - must be resisted physical and chemical effects, body fluids, secretions, cleaning agents and sterilization For this reason, most of them are made of high-quality stainless
steel; chromium and vanadium alloys ensure the durability of edges, springiness and resistance to corrosion. BASIC SURGICAL TOOLS Classification: 1. 2. 3. 4.
5. 6. Cutting and dissecting instruments Grasping, clamping, occluding instruments Hemostatic instruments Retracting and exposing instruments Wound-closing instruments and materials Special instruments
BASIC SURGICAL TOOLS 1. Cutting and dissecting instruments The function of these instruments is to divide tissues, sutures, bandages, etc. BASIC SURGICAL TOOLS 1.1. Scalpels
Handle and detachable blade Conventional scalpel Use of scalpels Fiddle-bow-holding Pencil-holding
BASIC SURGICAL TOOLS 1.2. Scissors BASIC SURGICAL TOOLS Use of ring-ended instruments with right and left hands 1-4 instrument-holding
3. Hemostatic instruments These instruments are establishing hemostasis during the operation. BASIC SURGICAL TOOLS Important member of this group are the hemostatic claps (Pean, mosquito, abdominal Pean, Kocher, Lumnitzer, Satinsky, bulldog) and electocoagulatins system. 3.1. Deschamp needle and Payr probe
BASIC SURGICAL TOOLS 3.2. Argon beam coagulator (ABC) BASIC SURGICAL TOOLS 4. Retracting and exposing instruments These instruments are used to hold tissues and organs in order
to improve the exposure and hence the visibility and accessibility of the surgical field. BASIC SURGICAL TOOLS 4.1. Hook 4.2. Rake retractor 4.3. Roux-retractor
These instruments are not used routinely during all surgical interventions. BASIC SURGICAL TOOLS 6.1. Volkmanns curette 6.3. Probe
6.2. Instruments of bone surgery 6.4. Sucker system SURGICAL MATERIALS SURGICAL MATERIALS Surgical needles Medicina is used numerous materials (bone, fishbone, thorn)
as surgical needles, and metal needles are widespread from the XIX. Century. SURGICAL MATERIALS The criteria of the ideal surgical needles - Made in best quality and minimal tissue reaction causing stainless steel - Slim and narrow, but strong - Stabil fixation and control in the needle holder
- Lead the thread by safely and minimal traumatisation - Sharp to get through the tissues - Rigid, but flexible - Easy sterilisation SURGICAL MATERIALS Conventional needles Closed eyed - Double thread (traumatisation)
- Lace time - Re-sterilisation - Care of needle-tip - Corrosion French-eyed SURGICAL MATERIALS Atraumatic needles
- Simple thread (atraumatic) - Manufactured connection of needle and threads - No Lace time - No re-sterilisation - No Care of needle-tip - No Corrosion SURGICAL MATERIALS
Shape of needle Circle 3/8 Circle Circle 5/8 Circle Progressive curved
Multiple curved Straight J-shaped SURGICAL MATERIALS Shape of its body Round needle
SURGICAL MATERIALS Criteria of ideal surgical materials Moynihan, 1912: Nonelectrolytic, noncapillary, nonallergenic, noncarcinogenic. Nonferromagnetic, as is the case with stainless steel sutures. Easy to handle. Minimally reactive in tissue and not predisposed to bacterial growth.
Capable of holding tissue layers throughout the wound healing Resistant to shrinking in tissues. Absorbed completely with minimal tissue reaction after serving its purpose. Sterile. SURGICAL MATERIALS Classification of surgical materials Raw material
- Coated multifil or flexible monofil SURGICAL MATERIALS The size-systems of threads Metric units / European Pharmacopeia/ from 0,1 metric (0,010-0,019 mm) to 10 metric(1,00-1,09 mm) USP /United States Pharmacopeia/
CATHOLICCATECHIST.COM #1 SOURCE FOR ONLINE CATHOLIC CURRICULUM SUPPLEMENTS READY WHEN YOU ARE THOUSANDS OF FILES READY TO DOWNLOAD INSTANTLY NEW FILES ADDED MONTHLY EASY TO EDIT HELPFUL LINKS The Ten Commandments Confession/Reconciliation Mary Advent and Christmas Creation Miscellaneous Angels Curriculum...
The (Fixed) End of the StringWhat happens when a pulse reaches the end of the string, and the end is fixed? It will decay. It will bounce back, looking much the same. It will bounce back, but an up pulse...
When people enter our school they look at the displays on our wall to see the wonderful work we do. Ce sontnos panneaux d'affichageFrançais. Nous apprenons: la nourriture, les vêtements, les numeros et la famille. ... This is our playground...
A life of poverty is filled with much strife. Appease. Ah-peez. Verb. Definition: to soothe or relieve by giving into. ... Adjective. Definition: bold and shameless. The thieves were brazen enough to leave a mocking note for the investigators. Conundrum....
Regex: [tT]\w* // words that begin with T or t. Results: I found the text "The"starting at index 0 and ending at index 3. I found the text "thrill"starting at index 4 and ending at index 10. I found the...
Ready to download the document? Go ahead and hit continue!